Sunday, June 24, 2012

Wednesday, March 22, 1876

Mar. 22nd.  Mrs. Stenhouse and polygamy are introduced.  I defend the latter from the Bible, from reason, and the necessity for a change to break down the social evil.  In parting, Mrs. McDonald said: "You are not strangers now and are welcome."

One mile walk and Mr. D. Richardson invited us in, saying: "You are Americans.  I wish to talk with you.  I would respect a dog from your country; a great country and people; much enterprise.  May I ask your business?"  I reply: "We are Latter-day Saint Missionaries."  He said: "Indeed, I was not aware I was talking to Ministers, but you are welcome as the Pope of Rome.  I am Catholic, but do not believe all their dogmas.  But, gentlemen, how will you manage those points of difference between and the U.S.A.?"  He brought up polygamy as usual, and the Mountain Meadow Massacre.  I gave the usual defense.  He asked about our marriage law, the rights of plural wives, etc. and I explained.  We closed with Phrenology, "When peoples facilities only lead to certain things, why should God hold them responsible?"  I explained that the practices of parents, surrounding influences and cultivation had much to do with this and we should not charge to our Heavenly Father the faults of man, either in practice or neglect.

After dinner we went on to Braidwood.  While being shaved, Mr. Flannigan seeks occasion again to bring up our marriages, burlesquing, etc.  Many are present and I make the usual defense.  Then the barber takes up the refrain, which leads to a gospel sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment