Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Monday June 14, 1875

I went with Brothers Thomas Steed and Job Welling, both of Farmington, (who had been called at the April Conference and had had ever since to prepare), to be set apart, recorded, received instructions, get supplies, etc. President Young who was disappointed at our failure in Arizona, said: "Now, Brother Miller, you are going to Australia under the Presidency of Brother Job Welling, and when you get there, I don't think he will say, "There is no water and we will go back!" He then had my certificate made out to read, "To the Inhabitants of the Earth," and said that he wanted Brother Miller to understand that he was in his field of labor from the time he took his foot off the threshold of his door until he placed it back again.

I had repeatedly spoken with Pres. Young in defense of our effort in Arizona and had told him that I and other men in that company would have gone anywhere at the risk of our lives, had he told us where to go or what to do. And I now told him that while I acknowledged his right to reprove me, having done my best under the situation confronting us, to support the effort in Arizona, my feelings were very tender on that subject. He then said: "Well, well, Brother Miller, you will go and fill this mission and will return in safety, and God will bless you, and it will be all right." This gave me some comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment