Thursday, June 16, 2011

Wednesday June 16, 1875

Departure for New York

All matters arranged and we were off with quite a demonstration at the depot.

While at President Young's office on the 14th, a company of eastern tourists, returning from California, called and had an interview. today at the depot, seeing the demonstration and recollecting me, one of the men asked the cause. I explained, and on his asking, told him I was one of the trio.

Bishop Hess, Brother Stayner and others accompanied us to Odgen and saw us under way from there. Soon after my inquiring tourist sought me out, and we had quite a Gospel talk. So, as I am in my field, my labor begins. Among other things, my inquiring friend asked me if I expected to preserve my virtue while gone. I replied, "If I did not, I would not leave home on such a call." He said it was commendable, that he had kept himself so far, and might get home safe, but they did not expect it of their missionaries while abroad.

Today I am viewing the country we passed through in 1848 and 1852 and later in freighting on the stage line. We had dinner at Laramie, supper in Cheyenne - lots of grasshoppers. What grand mountain views we see, near and far. Some are yet covered with snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment