Sunday, July 24, 2011

Saturday, July 24, 1875

July 24th, 1875. Pioneer Day. Last night I dreamed of home and friends, of business, chores, supper, etc. Then came the recollection of the journey to England and all that had transpired but not of a return home. Then came a thought of what Thomas Steed had told me that President Young said, "If Arizona missionaries were sent, we would expect them back in a few days", and here I was back home. Then came the thought, I am only here in spirit and must so return. I saw tears and weeping from my wife, was lifted from the earth and started horizontally like a bird when my brother, Joseph, with uplifted hand, took hold of my coat and, running under me, was trying to dissuade me. Then I awoke and lo! I am in England, fulfilling, so far, my mission and very thankful.

Brother Squires, Maughn, and Bryan took the train for Sheepsheds to attend a two day camp meeting. I visited the market, an aristocratic Saloon where finely dressed young ladies sat at tables with men, drinking various kinds of intoxicants. I also visited art gallery. I saw a fine display, including lace, as this is the great lace manufacturing town of England.

No comments:

Post a Comment