Sunday, July 31, 2011

Saturday, July 31, 1875

Saturday July 31st. I went to Brother Wooley's and blessed his eight day old babe. Leicester, like Nottingham, is a clean place compared with Bradford, Leeds and Sheffield. I notice that, generally, where extreme poverty is found, vice is the cause - drunkeness - which wastes time, destroys ability and takes a heavy account from meager earnings of the unfortunate victim or provider and there is so much of this vice. It and prostitution are the dominating vices of this country.

At 12:00 P.M. I took a train for Birmingham. I passed through Hinckley and arrived in Birmingham at 2:30 P.M. I took a cab to No. 26 Tenby, the Mission address. I met R.V. Morris and V.S. Haliday in the street and we recognized each other. I took dinner and supper at the hotel and was shown around town. I wrote letters to Job Welling and Thomas Steed, then visited Bro. Spook, a business man in good circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment