Sunday, November 6, 2011

Saturday, November 6, 1875

Nov. 6th. I packed up, prepared for departure, and bade farewell to the Kants, who have kindly cared for and fed us and washed our clothes. I left under my pillow, my endorsed photo, a sovereign, (a British gold coin worth 20 shillings or one pound,) and a note of appreciation. Arriving at Melbourne, I learned that the vessel will not start until 5:00 P.M. instead of 2:00 P.M. We went to Sandridge Wharf at the mouth of the Yarrow, where vessels too large to be towed up to Melbourne, load and unload. The wharf extends several hundred feet into the bay. Several railroad tracks extend the length of it to receive and bring in the loading. At 5:00 P.M. on board the "City of Adelade", I bade good-bye to Welling and Steed and am off alone for Sydney. A strong wind all day and I am seasick once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment