Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Monday, August 2, 1875

Aug 2nd. I received letters from my son, J.F. and from Arthur Staynor. All are well. I walked two miles to Aston Hall with Brother Haliday. It is now used as a museum with some good specimens of the animal kingdom, statues and other things of interest. There is a dining hall about 150 feet long with solid carving on the walls and ceiling. Here the Queen and her husband ate over 17 years ago. In the surrounding pleasure garden we witnessed a game of cricket. This is the English national game as baseball is in the U.S.A. After a visit and tea at Sister Gould's and listening to good singing accompanied on the piano, I returned to No. 26, where I had an interesting discussion on science and religion with a Mr. Hadley.

1 comment:

  1. Apparently, Jacob was to meet Thomas Steed on this day as his journal records:

    August 2. I went to Malvern Station to meet Jacob Miller, my Farmington companion, but he did not come. Here I notice the great amount of traffic done in the numerous trains coming and going.

    ReplyDelete