Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tuesday, August 10, 1875

Aug. 10th, 1875. I took the train the Worchester with Brother Steed and his niece and was shown around for two and a half hours. We visited a very nice cathedral. Then I took the train for London via Birmingham, where I waited seventy-five minutes, and wrote up my journal. The train started at 2:30 P.M. and had a breakdown, was detained a half hour and arrived at St. Pancres Station, London at 7:00 P.M. A lady cautioned me to beware, said several sharpers had me spotted as a stranger, said I should take a bus or cab and not accept service of our porter. I took a cab to Angel, then to my address - 20 Bishop's Grove, L.D.S. Conference House. President F. M. Lyman is away. I met Brother Binder, a native of London, who will show us around but we are to pay his fare.

2 comments:

  1. A sharper is an old term for thieves who use trickery to part an owner with his or her money possessions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas Steed's record of this day:

    August 10. Both Jacob and I went to Worcester to look for Samuel Williams; he did not come; we visited the Cathedral so beautifully decorated outside and inside with all the art, pomp and grandeur of the present age; they had then a High Church service. Then Jacob departed for London; I waited until the last train for S. Williams, was disappointed and returned to Malvern in the dark.

    ReplyDelete