Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday, August 8, 1875

Aug. 8th. In the morning, we had a treat of large English gooseberries in the garden. The Chamberlain place is on the opposite slope of Malvern Height from Malvern, from the crest of which we have the view described on Aug. 4th. and which view we repeat with time and detail today. There are many cities and villages in sight in all directions. Spire after spire rises from among the trees that are in every direction. Fields of grain and meadow ready for harvest, in gentle undulations break and scenery into nice variety and make it the grandest that I have ever placed my eyes on.

At 2:00 P.M. we held meeting on Malvern Common with about 200 Saints and others present. Morris, Ballister and Steed occupied most of the time with able addresses and strong testimonies. I occupied about twenty-five minutes on the many blessings God designs for his children in all the products of the soil and in the ability of their bodies, that evil and sin are only the results of the abuse of those blessings. If we use our physical strength to abuse and injure, we pervert that ability. If we use our speech to defame or persuade evil, we pervert that blessing. If we turn the life giving saccharin from the grain and cereals into alcholic poison and become drunkards therewith, we injure ourselves, destroy our health, shorten our lives and bring misery and disgrace upon family and relations.

Meeting at 6:30 P.M. on Malvern Common. While Ballister was speaking, a Minister passed tracts to the audience.. I accepted one. The reading was: "Believe on Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." I followed. I took it for my text, quoted John 14:1: "He that believeth on Me the works that I do shall he do also." I showed that the first work of the Savior's ministry was to seek baptism of John, followed by the bestowal of the Holy Ghost; that He said to Nicodemus: "Except ye are born of the water and spirit, ye cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven." The fact that He and most of His Apostles were crucified and many of His followers massacred, did not disprove the divinity of His Gospell.

Though the founder of the Latter-day Saint Gospel, Joseph Smith, after much persecution and imprisonment, was martyred in Carthage Jail; though other noble defenders had been killed, despoiled, mobbed, and driven; and though the wicked hand of persecution still follows them, it does not disprove the divine authenticity of this work. I quoted: "Blessed are when men persecute you, etc." I bore testimony, asked my hearers to search the scriptures and see if the Latter-day Saints religion does not agree therewith. I was followed by Brothers Steed and Morris.

1 comment:

  1. Thomas Steed's record of this day:

    August 8. Sunday. Morning clear and bright makes us rejoice for we had given out an appointment to hold a camp-meeting on the common at 2:30 p. m. We had a great desire to speak to the people of this vicinity before leaving the country. We met just in front of where Pale House used to stand, a good size assembly. Bro. Morris spoke first, bro. Belleston next and I followed. We held another meeting at 6:30 p. m., which was well attended. Bro. Jacob spoke first. I gave them a sketch of my experience from the time I first heard the Gospel near that very spot, some 35 years ago up to the present; I bore testimony of the great mission of the Prophet Joseph and that it was in obedience to the commandment of God and the love I had for my fellow men, that I now was with them to declare the truths of the Gospel of the Son of God, which, if they would receive and obey would entitle them to the blessing of Eternal Life. It was for this cause that I had willingly left my home, my family and my friends and traveled over 6000 miles to carry the glad tiding to them and to bear my testimony that this is the Dispensation of the fullness of time, in which God would do a great and marvelous work on the earth to prepare a people for the second coming of His Son. I was listened to with interest by many. I also gave them a song that was well received. I hope it will prove a blessing to them. Many came to take my hand and said God bless you, we shall remember what has been said.

    ReplyDelete